BU633 Removing paint coatings
Regular maintenance will extend the life of an exterior paint finish, but it will not prevent long-term deterioration. Repainting should be carried out before the paint begins to deteriorate, particularly for timber substrates.
This bulletin describes the options for exterior paint removal and updates and replaces Bulletin 314 Removing paint coatings from houses.
This bulletin covers:
- when to repaint
- assessing existing paint condition
- overview of paint removal methods
- application of heat to remove paint
- chemical strippers
- waterblasting and steam cleaning
- removing lead-based paint
- health and safety.
|Publication date||1 February 2019|