What we do
BRANZ research has contributed extensively to development of Building Code requirements and standards for thermal performance of building materials. Through our consultancy and testing services, we assist manufacturers, designers and the wider industry to improve the thermal performance of insulation materials and of buildings.
Why work with us?
BRANZ is accredited by International Accreditation New Zealand (IANZ) for measuring the properties of thermal insulation materials using the test method in:
- ASTM C518-17 Standard test method for steady-state thermal transmission properties by means of the heat flow meter apparatus
- AS/NZS 4859.1:2018 Thermal insulation of materials for building - Part 1: General criteria and technical provisions.
The properties we are accredited for measuring include:
- thermal transmission properties of thermal insulation and other materials
- thermal resistance of low-density batt and blanket-type mineral fibre insulation
- thickness and density of blanket or batt thermal insulation.
See Applied Physics Testing Laboratory (37) [PDF, 175KB]
Other types of thermal testing and expertise
We also offer consultancy and testing in the following areas:
- Guarded hot box thermal resistance measurement of constructed panels to ASTM C1363-19 Standard test method for thermal performance of building materials and envelope assemblies by means of a hot box apparatus
- In situ measurement of thermal conductivity using large-area heat flux sensors
- Precision measurement of thickness and loft recovery of fibrous thermal insulation, including to ASTM C167-18 Standard test methods for thickness and density of blanket or batt thermal insulations
- To suppliers of equipment for thermal insulation thickness measurement
- Specific thermal design
- Computer modelling of heat flows in buildings
- Combined heat and moisture performance simulation of buildings and structures
- Measurement of whole-building energy efficiency
- Thermal imaging to detect heat loss.