Our multi-disciplinary team of scientists and engineers seek to understand our customers' needs and provide cost-effective testing solutions.
Our testing capabilities include:
- measurement of fundamental material properties such as mechanical strength
- assessment of natural and artificial weathering performance
- lifetime prediction of materials and development of durability test methods
- assisting in the development of new products and systems.
Learn more about our durability testing services: Building materials durability testing
Materials and products we test
We test the performance of a range of commonly used building materials, including:
- plastics, polymers and composites
- metals and their protective coatings
- cement and cement-like materials
- timber and wood-based materials.
These materials are used in a diverse range of products. We can test the performance of:
- roof tiles and membranes
- sealants and adhesives
- flashing tapes
- building underlays.
Specialised testing services
Our testing equipment simulates the damage caused by natural environmental weathering and ageing on construction materials and products.
Sunlight and moisture damage
We can reproduce the damage caused by full-spectrum sunlight, rain and dew that occurs over months or years outdoors in just a few days or weeks.
Our equipment and applicable standards include:
- Q-SUN xenon arc testing chamber (ASTM G155-13 Standard practice for operating xenon arc light apparatus for exposure of non-metallic materials)
- QUV accelerated weathering tester (ASTM G154-16 Standard practice for operating fluorescent ultraviolet (UV) lamp apparatus for exposure of nonmetallic materials).
Accelerated artificial ageing
A material's properties reduce as it ages. We study the impact on durability through accelerated ageing tests at controlled temperatures and humidities and through cycles of heat, cold, wetness and drying.
We can develop other artificial ageing test methods to suit specific materials.
Exposure to environmental elements can contribute to the degradation of paints, coatings and products. Using special environmental chambers, we offer testing services that emulate a variety of conditions, including:
- salt spray corrosion
- heat and rain exposure
- freeze-thaw exposure
- natural weathering exposure.
Standards we test to
Our team has in-depth knowledge of the requirements of the New Zealand Building Code and associated standards. We can conduct testing on materials for compliance with New Zealand and international standards, including:
- Standards Australia (AS)
- Standards New Zealand (NZS)
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- British Standards (BS)
- European Norms (EN)
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
Enquire about performance testing
We can provide full details of the range of testing available. We can also provide individual clients with advice on testing procedures and develop test programmes for specific product performance evaluation.
If you would like to discuss performance testing for your product, contact us by: