BU570 Ground clearances (2014)
Insufficient clearance to the finished outside ground levels can result in deterioration of building materials or an increased risk of water entry.
This bulletin outlines the key requirements from E2/AS1 and NZS 3604:2011 Timber-framed buildings to provide adequate clearance between building materials, floor levels and the outside ground or paving levels. It replaces Bulletin 353 Ground clearances.
The bulletin covers:
- what are ground clearances
- problems caused by inadequate ground clearances
- Building Code requirements
- reasons given for inadequate ground clearances
- design and construction requirements
- remedying existing buildings
- claddings below ground
- providing level access.