Investing the Building Research Levy
BRANZ Inc. is the steward of the Building Research Levy and invests the Levy through a range of mechanisms which include:
- Work initiated and contracted with BRANZ Ltd (this can include sub-contracts with external providers);
- Work initiated and contracted with external providers (this can include sub-contracts with BRANZ Ltd);
- Scholarships to support the next generation of researchers and help support tertiary capability elsewhere in New Zealand;
- Strategic initiatives that invest in significant activities above and beyond BRANZ’s baseline of research investment; and
- Agile investments that are able to respond to urgent industry issues or take advantage of opportunities that may emerge outside of programmed investment rounds.
Building Research Levy Prospectus 2021 – closed for expressions of interest
Our annual Prospectus round seeks proposals from external researchers, to add capability and capacity to BRANZ expertise and uncover new ideas and approaches.
Download the 2021 Building Research Levy Prospectus [PDF, 1,423KB].
Applicants must comply with the terms and conditions [PDF, 134KB] for this prospectus.
This round is now closed for 2021.
BRANZ Inc. research priorities for 2021
The BRANZ Levy Investment Portfolio Statement (PDF, (1,423KB) sets the overall direction for Building Research Levy investment into the BRANZ portfolio, including the Prospectus round.
In 2021 the Prospectus calls for proposals that address areas of research needed within BRANZ’s Transition to a Zero-Carbon Built Environment research programme. The programme has a goal of delivering net-zero carbon buildings in an affordable way by 2050.
The Prospectus calls for stand-alone research proposals responding to questions in three themes:
- Carbon and demolition waste – towards a zero-carbon circular economy
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions in our building stock now and into the future
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions in cities, towns and neighbourhoods
Prospectus process and timeline
BRANZ uses a two-stage process. A short expression of interest is assessed, then successful applicants are invited to submit a full proposal. Information about the process and timetable is contained in the Prospectus.
Key dates are:
- Expressions of interest submitted by 5pm on 12 August 2021
- Notification about yes/no progression to full proposal stage by 2 September 2021
- Full proposals submitted by 5pm on 14 October 2021
- Applications assessed and announcements made by the end of November 2021
Proposals undergo a rigorous assessment process to make sure the work funded by the Building Research Levy is of a high standard. The assessment criteria are outlined in the Prospectus.
The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) participates in this advisory group to recognise the connection between Levy-funded research and government regulatory and policy direction. Additional subject matter advice is also sought as needed.
Investment in urgent issues
In addition to the Prospectus call for applications, BRANZ recognises opportunities may be driven by urgent or timely insights or events. We use agile investment to act quickly to undertake new research throughout the year. If you have an idea please contact the Research Investment team in the first instance, email@example.com.
Find out more about funding for external providers
To enquire about accessing funding for potential research collaboration or BRANZ’s investment and stewardship of the Building Research Levy, email firstname.lastname@example.org.