Universal design features incorporated within the example designs include:
- wider accessways and thresholds
- level transition zones internally and externally
- lever handles rather than knob handles for doors and windows
- drawers rather than cupboards for easy access
- kitchens that are not walk-through (transition) zones
- easy-to-use drawer handles
- good task lighting in utility zones
- well placed grab rails in bathroom areas
- non-slip flooring.
The images are kindly provided courtesy of Lifemark. The first image is a Smarter Smaller Home in Auckland, designed by CreativeArch and built by Latitude Homes.