Appraisal number: 839 (2019)
Date issued: 13 Dec 2019
MLC Masonry and Brick Plaster System
The MLC Masonry and Brick Plaster System is a solid plaster and finishing system for use over a solid backing of concrete masonry, clay brick veneer, in situ or precast concrete.
The MLC Masonry and Brick Plaster System is available in either a cement-based option or an acrylic-based option. The cement-based option consists of a base coat of MLC plaster followed by either a cement-based finishing plaster or an acrylic-based finishing plaster. The acrylic-based option consists of a flanking coat of MLC plaster followed by a mesh coat of Powaflex acrylic plaster and an acrylic-based finishing plaster. Both base coat options are finished with an acrylic exterior paint system.
The MLC Masonry and Brick Plaster System has been appraised as a solid plaster system for buildings within the following scope:
- With substrates of concrete masonry, in situ or pre cast concrete up to 3 storeys, with a maximum height from ground to eaves of 10 m.
- With substrates of clay brick veneer designed and constructed in accordance with the scope limitations of NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1, NZS 4210 and NZS 4229.,
- With floor plan area limited only by seismic and structural control joints.
- With supporting structures designed and constructed in accordance with the NZBC.
- Detached and located 1 metre or more from the relevant boundary.
- Situated in NZS 3604 wind zones up to and including extra high.
The MLC Masonry and Brick Plaster System has also been appraised for bond, durability and weathertightness of the plaster system for concrete masonry, in situ or precast concrete buildings subject to specific design with no building height restriction or wind exposure restriction.
The MLC Masonry and Brick Plaster System must only be applied on vertical surfaces (except for sills, concrete-reinforced parapets and concrete reinforced balustrades, which must have a minimum 10° slope and be waterproofed in accordance with the requirements of the building designer).
Installation of components and accessories supplied by Specialized Construction Products Ltd and approved applicators must be carried out only by Specialized Construction Products Ltd approved applicators.
Masonry and Brick Plastering Specification, August 2018
Always refer to the Appraisal in full and the technical literature.