Appraisal number: 1044 (2019)
Date issued: 8 Mar 2019
Simpson Strong-Tie Weatherboard Screws
Simpson Strong-Tie Weatherboard Screws are a range of stainless steel screws for use to affix timber weatherboards to timber framing. They are available in various sizes and either 305 or 316 grades of stainless steel.
Simpson Strong-Tie Weatherboard Screws feature self-drilling tips, box threads and a proprietary trim-head profile. All screws in the range are driven using a #2 square driver bit and are collated for use with the Simpson Strong-Tie Quik-Drive auto feed screwdriving system.
Simpson Strong-Tie Weatherboard Screws have been appraised for use as weatherboard fixings on timber-framed buildings where the weatherboards meet the following specification:
- Weatherboards shall be manufactured from radiata pine preservative treated in accordance with NZS 3602.
- Weatherboards profiles shall be in accordance with E2/AS1 paragraph 220.127.116.11 (compliant with NZS 3617 or BRANZ Bulletin 411), which includes the following board profiles:
- Bevel-back (rebated and plain)
- Board and batten.
- Weatherboards shall be installed over a 20 mm drained and vented cavity or directly fixed to the wall framing (as determined by E2/AS1 risk matrix score or wind zone) complying with NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1.
- Situated in NZS 3604 wind zones up to and including extra high.
Note: Substitution of Simpson Strong-Tie Weatherboard Screws for use as alternatives to fixings specified within proprietary cladding systems has not been assessed by BRANZ and is outside the scope of the Appraisal. In all instances, permission must be obtained from the cladding proprietor for any proposed substitutions prior to commencing installation.
Always refer to the Appraisal in full and the technical literature.