Appraisal number: 811 (2019)
Date issued: 14 Jun 2019
Sikalastic-152 Exterior Waterproofing Membrane
Sikalastic-152 Exterior Waterproofing Membrane is a two-part waterproofing membrane for use under ceramic or stone tile finishes on external decks and balconies.
Sikalastic-152 Waterproofing Membrane has been appraised as a waterproofing membrane on buildings within the following scope:
- The scope limitations of NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1 paragraph 1.1 with respect to building height and maximum floor plan areas.
- With building structures designed and constructed to meet the requirements of the NZBC.
- With deck and balcony supporting structures of timber framing with substrates of plywood.
- With substrates of suspended concrete slabs.
- Situated in all NZS 3604 wind zones up to and including extra high.
Sikalastic-152 Waterproofing Membrane has also been appraised for use as a waterproofing membrane on specifically designed buildings within the following scope:
- With building structures designed and constructed to comply with the NZBC.
- With deck and balcony supporting structures of timber framing with substrates of plywood and fibre-cement compressed sheet.
- With substrates of suspended concrete slab.
- Subjected to maximum wind pressures.
- With the weathertightness design of all junctions being the subject of specific design by the designer.
Note: The design of these junctions has not been appraised by BRANZ and is outside the scope of the Appraisal.
Decks and balconies waterproofed with Sikalastic-152 Waterproofing Membrane must be designed and constructed in accordance with the following limitations:
- Constructed to suitable falls.
- With the membrane continually protected from physical damage by ceramic or stone tile finishes.
- With decks and balconies designed and constructed such that deflections do not exceed 1/360th of the span.
- With no steps within the deck level, no integral roof gardens and no downpipes discharging directly onto the deck.
Movement and control joints in the substrate must be carried through to the tile finish. The design and construction of the substrate and movement and control joints is specific to each building and therefore the responsibility of the building designer and building contractor and is outside the scope of this Appraisal.
Ceramic or stone tile finishes are outside the scope of the Appraisal.
The membrane must be installed by trained installers approved by Sika (NZ) Ltd.
Waterproofing Details, Sika Tile Installation Systems, Internal and External Areas, version 1, 2019
Always refer to the Appraisal in full and the technical literature.