Appraisal number: 772 (2012)
Date issued: 28 Sep 2012
StoPoren Panel Cladding System
The StoPoren Panel Cladding System is a cavity-based external wall cladding system for residential and light commercial type buildings where domestic construction techniques are used.
The system consists of autoclaved aerated concrete (AAC) panels (StoPoren panels) fixed over high-density polystyrene battens to form a 20 or 40 mm cavity or timber cavity spacers to form a 40 mm cavity. The coating system consists of a minimum 5 mm thickness of fibreglass mesh reinforced synthetic resin plasters and synthetic resin finishing plasters applied to the Poren panels. The plaster system is finished with Sto exterior paint system. The top coat plasters can be textured to give different finished appearances.
The system incorporates a primary and secondary means of weather resistance (first and second line of defence) against water penetration by separating the cladding from the external wall framing with a nominal 20 or 40 mm drained cavity.
The StoPoren Panel Cladding System has been appraised as an external wall cladding system for buildings within the following scope:
- The scope limitations of NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1 paragraph 1.1.
- Constructed with timber framing complying with the NZBC.
- With a risk score of 0-20 calculated in accordance with NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1 Table 2.
- Situated in NZS 3604 wind zones up to and including extra high.
The StoPoren Panel Cladding System has also been appraised for weathertightness and structural wind loading when used as an external wall cladding for buildings within the following scope:
- The scope limitations of NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1 paragraph 1.1 with regards to building height and floor plan area.
- Constructed with timber and steel framing complying with the NZBC.
- Situated in specific design wind pressures up to a maximum design differential ultimate limit state (ULS) of 2.5 kPa.
The StoPoren Panel Cladding System must only be installed on vertical surfaces (except for tops of parapets, sills and balustrades, which must have a minimum 10° slope and be waterproofed in accordance with the technical literature).
The system is appraised for use with aluminium window and door joinery that is installed with vertical jambs and horizontal heads and sills. (The Appraisal of the StoPoren Panel Cladding System relies on the joinery meeting the requirements of NZS 4211 for the relevant wind zone or design wind pressure.)
- Specification SS500 StoPoren Panel Cladding System, September 2012.
- Specification SS501 StoPoren Panel Armat Cladding System, September 2012.
- Specification SS502 StoPoren Panel Armat Cavity Spacer System, September 2012.
- Specification SS503 StoPoren Panel Cavity Spacer System, September 2012.
- StoPoren Panel Cladding System installation detailing, all dated 2012:
Panel Layout Series drawings PP100 to PP105, Foundation Series drawings PP200 to PP209, Walls Series PP300 to PP309, Wall Penetrations and Fittings Series drawings PP350 to PP360, Joinery Series drawings PP400 to PP418, Parapets, Balustrade, Decks Series drawings PP500 to PP515, Soffits Series drawings PP600 to PP607, Roof Series drawings PP700 to PP711, Weatherboard Series drawings PP800 to PP808, Brick Series drawings PP810 to PP815, Fibre Cement Sheet Series drawings PP820 to PP823, Concrete Block Series drawings PP830 to PP834, Manufactured Stone - Schist and Natural Stone Series drawings PP840 to PP849, Profile Metal Series drawings PP850 to PP856, StoTherm Panel EIFS Series drawings PP860 to PP866, Flashman Joinery Flashing System drawings PP878 to PP880, Homerit PVC Joinery drawings PP881 to PP883.
- StoPoren Panel 40 mm Cavity Veneer System Series drawings PP1000 to PP1027, all dated 2012.
The following details have not been assessed and are outside the scope of the Appraisal:
- Timber Windows Series drawings PP870 to PP874, NK PVC Joinery Series drawings PP875 to PP875.
Always refer to the Appraisal in full and the technical literature.