Appraisal number: 467 (2005)
Date issued: 5 May 2005
Titan® & Exotec® Façade Panel Rainscreen
Titan® & ExoTec® Façade Panel Rainscreen is a negative expressed joint cladding system for specific design buildings of timber frame and timber frame infill construction.
The system consists of a rigid air barrier (RAB), timber battens to form a cavity, weather seal tapes, horizontal joint socket and Titan® and ExoTec® façade panels. The Titan® and ExoTec® façade panels are finished with a latex paint system.
The system incorporates a primary and secondary means of weather resistance (first and second line of defence) against water penetration by separating the façade panels from the rigid air barrier with a nominal 20 mm cavity. The cavity allows for any occasional ingress of water that may get past the external skin to drain to the exterior of the building and any remaining moisture to dry by evaporation.
Titan® & ExoTec® Façade Panel Rainscreen has been appraised as an external wall cladding system for buildings within the following scope:
- Importance level I-V buildings as defined in AS/NZS 1170, except that housing and communal residential buildings that fall within the scope limitations of NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1 paragraph 1.1 are excluded.
- Constructed with timber framing or timber frame infill complying with the NZBC.
- Subjected to maximum wind pressures for structural and weathertightness design of 1.0 kPa serviceability limit state (SLS) and 1.5 kPa ultimate limit state (ULS) where studs are at maximum 600 mm centres and 3.0 kPa SLS and 4.5 kPa ULS where studs are at maximum 400 mm centres.
- Where the maximum seismic displacement under serviceability conditions is 10 mm.
- Where the cavity is drained and ventilated at every 10 m maximum.
- With a rigid air barrier installed at the back of the cavity.
All buildings incorporating Titan® & ExoTec® Façade Panel Rainscreen must be subject to specific engineering and weathertightness design. Building designers are responsible for the frame design and for the incorporation of the Titan® & ExoTec® Façade Panel Rainscreen into their design in accordance with the instructions of James Hardie New Zealand.
Titan® & ExoTec® Façade Panel Rainscreen must only be installed to vertical flat surfaces.
Window and door joinery installations in the Titan® & ExoTec® Façade Panel Rainscreen system must be subject to specific weathertightness design. Building designers are responsible for verifying the performance of the joinery installation details. (The Appraisal of Titan® & ExoTec® Façade Panel Rainscreen relies on the joinery being the subject of specific engineering design with regards to wind load and deflection for the design wind pressure.)
The system must be installed using detailing as set out in the technical literature.
Note: The Titan® & Exotec® Façade Panel Rainscreen system can be used to provide structural bracing and fire resistance rated construction, but these aspects have not been assessed by this Appraisal and are outside its scope.
Titan® & Exotec® Façade Panel Rainscreen Technical Specification, February 2013
Always refer to the Appraisal in full and the technical literature.