BU568 Low-impact homes
Low-impact construction for new dwellings:
- minimises use of non-renewable resources while using renewable resources to their best advantage over the building's lifetime
- adopts technologies and processes for local conditions
- reduces construction and in-use waste
- is resilient to adverse conditions and changes in use.
This bulletin gives an overview of the key elements and benefits of low-impact design and construction.
The bulletin covers:
- site selection
- design and specification, including climate-responsive design, insulation, thermal mass, appliances, on-site renewable electricity generation, rainwater collection and indoor moisture management
- maintenance and resource use
Publication date: February 2014 Keywords: Building Code, environment, management, recycling, sustainability