BU450 Solar-control glass selection and installation
The glass used in windows plays an important part in the control of solar energy entering and leaving a building.
This bulletin discusses the issues involved in selecting and installing solar-control glass to control heat gain and heat loss through windows.
This bulletin covers:
- how solar-control glasses work
- solar-control glass types - heat-absorbing (tinted) glass, reflective (coated) glass, low-emissivity glass and heat-absorbing glass with a reflective coating
- design considerations
- costs of solar-control glasses
- causes of failure
- special issues when installing solar glass
- mirror effects
- cleaning and maintenance.
Publication date: June 2004 Keywords: cladding, double glazing, glass, glazing, IGU, natural light, solar